You may have received a message from a Facebook Friend in Messenger that prompted you to open up a link. Upon doing so, you were asked to ‘login to verify’ and if you happened to enter your username and password at that point, you would have just become the latest Phishing victim and your account information is no longer secure. (Pause at this point to go and change your password on Facebook and return to complete the article).
What should I do if I submitted my Facebook username and password?
- Facebook has provided a series of steps to help you secure your account which also includes resetting your password. Visit https://www.facebook.com/hacked and follow the steps.
- We strongly recommend that you set up Two-Factor Authentication for Facebook and all your other Social Media accounts.
- If you cannot get into your account and your username or password don’t work, follow these steps to recover your account.
- If you want to review the activity that has been happening to your account i.e. if anyone else logged in from another location or device, then you can review recent activity and check recent emails sent by Facebook.
- Lastly, you can also report strange emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.