Cyber attacks using stole passwords happen more often that you think. Using a weak password makes it easier for someone to gain access to your device or online account be it your email, shopping website or worse yet, your online banking account.
WHAT TO AVOID WHEN SETTING A PASSWORD
- Since most mobile devices use numeric passcodes, you should avoid simplistic passwords such as your name, digits from your phone number, birthday or other publicly known information.
- Avoid using dictionary words as hackers have tools that contain all dictionary words and use it to try to access your account.
- If using a PIN code, avoid passwords that can be easily guessed, such as 0000, 1111, 1234, 2580 etc.
- Try to not reuse old passwords
HOW TO CREATE STRONG PASSWORDS
Strong passwords are passwords that are difficult for someone to guess and generally contain a mix of letters, numbers and symbols. Here are some tips when creating a strong password:
- Minimum of 8 characters long
- Contain at least one number
- Containg at least one special character. Special characters are like these ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ + }
- Contain at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter
HOW CAN I REMEMBER LONG COMPLEX PASSWORDS
Strong passwords can be easily created by creating a phrase and replacing some of the characters using the tips mentioned above. For example:
- Trinidad And Tobago can be written as Tr!n!d@&T0b@g0
- I Like Doubles can be written as IL1k3D0u6|e5
- Land of Steelpan can be written as L@nd0f$+eelP@n
PROPER CARE OF YOUR PASSWORDS
After you have created your strong password you should take proper care of your password. Here are some tips you should follow:
- Never send passwords via email or any electronic messaging tool
- Never save your passwords on a text file on your computer
- Always enter your passwords on a secure web page.
- Don't save passwords for online shopping, banking or any other data sensitive accounts in your browser
- Be very aware of phishing scams you may receive in your email or via a web page asking you to reset or enter your password. Your Bank, IT Department, Online Store will NEVER ask you to change your password or update your information in that manner.